The Hollies

Photobucket
Every morning I would see her waiting at the stop
Sometimes she'd shop and she would show me what she bought
All the people stared as if we were both quite insane
Someday my name and hers are going to be the same
Ill try to be definitive in this post, I love The Hollies (As if there's an alternative adjective). A total rip-off of the 'The Beatles'? I think one must live a 100 years to be able to give a justifiable answer to that. If you didn't, really and who cares?+/-

The Hollies is one of the bands I grew up listening to (and yes, The Beatles also) where a child can just receive and receive music without questions attached. Now growing older, I had no idea who this band really is but literally memorize by heart lyrics like "Bus stop, wet day, she's there I say/ Please share my umbrella/ Bus stop, bus go, she stays love grows/ Under my umbrella (Take that Rihanna!).

One of the best and most commercially successful pop/rock acts of the British Invasion, The Hollies began recording in 1963.

They relied heavily upon the R&B/early rock & roll covers and quickly developed a more distinctive style of three-part harmonies, ringing guitars, and hook-happy material, penned by both outside writers and themselves, eventually composing most of their repertoire on their own. The best early Hollies records evoke an infectious, melodic cheer similar to that of the early Beatles, although the Hollies were neither in their class (not an insult: nobody else was) nor demonstrated a similar capacity for artistic growth. They tried, though, easing into somewhat more sophisticated folk-rock and mildly psychedelic sounds as the decade wore on, especially on their albums (which contain quite a few overlooked highlights).

Hands down, my favorite is "Bus Stop".

When pop culture lets me down and the "river" of inspiration dries out (seeing from my latest posts, but that's mainly because of laziness), I turn to my father's vinyl collections. And always, I find my sanctuary there. Besides, how hipster is "early rock and roll"?

Bus Stop
Long Cool Woman In A Black Dress
Carrie Anne
He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother



The Hollies official website// Artist Direct// Buy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Script

Greg Laswell