METAPHOR OFFICIAL 2008 RUNDOWN

Photobucket

Music should strike fire from the heart of man,
and bring tears from the eyes of woman.
~Ludwig van Beethoven~

What is the essence of adept or good music? Is it the mere ability to catch people's attention or has it had to do with the virtuoso style of creating the songs which somehow makes it unique from other pieces?

+/-

I couldn't answer that. In some ways, music has its own relativity. For almost 500 posts here in Play which 6 months later became Metaphor (to those who remember, thank you), I had come across to unlikely music talents traversing from different refinements.

There had been moments this year where after I listen to a downright amazing piece I wanted to put a stamp stating "THIS IS THE REAL MUSIC" on the foreheads of those poor souls who aggravate themselves by listening to craptastic automatonlike voices on their speakers. What happened to "originals"? Don't get me wrong, I don't believe in stereotyping. I adhere to different genres including remixes and mainstream (I had even posted several here) and even though we all have our own comfort zones in our choice of music, I tried my best to be diverse and unbiased as possible. Anyhow, this is just a reminder, I cant influence you on what to listen and what to not.

This special post with its beguiling enormity is the Metaphor's Official 2008 Rundown. I couldn't decide what to include if alternatively I choose to have a limited list. Preferably, I included all artists I have fallen in love this year in superlative degree (cream of the crop as such). I shied away from already popular figures so as to give way to these unknown artists. The order and the choice of images are in random prospect. Check out the mixtapes (by month), they'll be worth your time.

Hopefully this post will resolute your own music preferences. Support pop culture!

Ciao and happy holidays!

Thanks are appreciated.

Note: If you're looking for an artist/song you've found here before in this post, press CTRL+F and type.



April (5)!


I’ve been fighting all of my life,
always seem to put my heart on the line
and it’s a lonely road i climb,
when i see everything.
Photobucket
The Sounds

Boomkat/ Runaway
DJ Samson and Junior Senior/ Can I Get Get
Meiko/ How Lucky We Are
Rooney/ When Did Your Heart Go Missing
The Sounds/ Tony the Beat



May (24)!


So you were born in an electrical storm
Took a bite out the sun
Saw your future in a machine built for two
Now your rays, make me kind of go crazy, shocked and awe and amaze me
Just a ticker tape parade and me
But something was wrong
Till you tap danced on the air in the night screaming at the top of your lungs, you said
Come on, come on
Do what you want
What could go wrong?
Trey Songz/ Cant Help But Wait
Locksley/ Why Not Me
Eric Hutchinson/ Ok Is Alright With Me
Sharon Jones and The Dap King/ 100 Days, 100 Nights

Photobucket
The Ditty Bops

Jamie Lidell/ Lil Bit of Feel Good
Just Jack/ Starz in Their Eyes
Janelle Monae/ Many Moons
Kenna/ Say Goodbye to Love
Esser/ I Love You
Heloise & the Savoir Faire/ Downtown
Carolina Liar/ Show Me What Im Looking For
Brett Dennen/ She's Mine
The Ditty Bops/ Sister Kate
Jesus Jackson/ Running on Sunshine
Ben Lee/ Catch My Disease
The Virgins/ Rich Girls
Spoon/ The Way We Get By
The Eames Era/ Could Be Anything
Imogen Heap/ Goodnight and Go
Sugarland/ All I Want to Do
Tegan and Sara/ Back in Your Head
Nouvelle Vague/ Love Will Tear Us Apart
Ok Go/ Do What You Want



June (15)!


You're my last breathe
You're a breathe of fresh air to me
Hi, I'm empty
So tell me you care for me
Photobucket
Natalie Portman's Shaved Head

Sofia/ Waters of March
The Ting Tings/ Fruit Machine
The 88/ How Good Can It Be
Lykke Li/ Im Good Im Gone

Photobucket
Walter Meego

Walter Meego/ Forever
The Submarines/ You, Me, and the Bourgeoisie
The Magic Numbers/ Undecided
Hercules Love Affair/ Blind
Natalie Portman's Shaved Head/ Me + Yr Daughter
Jim Noir/ I Me You I'm Your
The Cliks/ Oh Yeah
Little Jackie/ The World Should Revolve Around Me
Moloko/ Time is Now
Monrose/ Strike the Match
Alcazar/ Inhibitions



July (9)!


And I know she loves me
She loves everybody
Chester French/ She Loves Everybody
She and Him/ You Really Got A Hold On Me
Sam Sparro/ Black and Gold
Estelle/ People Everyday
Vampire Weekend/ Oxford Comma

Photobucket
Soko

Soko/ Take My Heart
Emiliana Torrini/ Me and Armani
Chromeo/ Mommma's Boy
Zach Ashton/ Sugar and Spice



August (24)!


I'm getting tired of living like i'm dying
While the world is moving on
Photobucket
Elisa Jordana

Elisa Jordana/ The Dark Side of The City
Dresden Dolls/ Coin Operated Boy
Asa/ No One Knows
Bloc Party/ Mercury
MGMT/ Electric Feel
Ladyhawke/ Paris is Burning
The Walkmen/ In the New Year
Bloc Party/ Mercury
MGMT/ Electric Feel
TV On the Radio/ Province
CSS/ Music is My Hot Hot Sex
My Morning Jacket/ Evil Urges
The Faint/ The Geeks Were Right
Operator Please/ Get What You Want
The Orion Experience/ Obsessed With You
Conor Oberst/ Danny Callahan
Dr. Dog/ Old Days
Albert Hammond, Jr./ Gfc
Dizzee Rascal ft. Calvin Harris/ Dance Wiv Me
Shwayze/ Corona and Lime
Marit Larsen/ Only A Fool
Ida Maria/ I Like You So Much When Youre Naked
Keane/ Spiralling
Colby O Donis/ Dont Turn Back
The Fratellis/ Whistle For The Choir
Anya Marina/ Move You
Kirsty MacColl/ In These Shoes
The Morning Benders/ Waiting For A War



September (24)!


And see how that light you love now just won`t shine,
there might just be another star, that`s high and far in some other sky.
Photobucket
The Jakes

Little Boots/ Stuck On Repeat
Of Montreal/ I'd Engager
Ra Ra Riot/ A Manner to Act
Okkervil River/ Lost Coastlines
The Deer Tracks/ Slow Collision
Rod Thomas/ Your Love is A Tease
The Jakes/ Cough Syrup
Metro Station/ Shake It
The Avett Brothers/ Die Die Die
Priscilla Ahn/ Dream
Erin McCarley/ Pony
Get Set Go/ I Hate Everyone
Apple in the Stereo/ Energy
Family Force 5/ Dance or Die

Photobucket
Lenka

Lenka/ We Will Not Grow Old
Fefe Dobson/ Watch Me Move
Jenny Lewis/ Pretty Bird
Fleet Foxes/ White Winter Hymnal
Metronomy/ Heartbreaker
Ryan Adams and the Cardinals/ Majick
Eraserheads/ Julie Tearjearkey
Noah and the Whale/ Five Years Time
Lily Frost/ Willow Weep For Me
Katie Herzig/ I Will Follow



October (20)!


Everyone dreams about heaven
Nobody knows what to think
The truth is that I go to heaven
Every time you look at me
Andrew Bird/ Oh No
Tigercity/ Are You Sensation
Mr. Oizo/ Jo
Department of Eagles/ No One Does It Like You
Q-Tip/ Believe (feat. D'Angelo)
Built For The Sea/ Baby Its Cold Outside
Bitter:Sweet/ Heaven
Fujiya & Miyagi/ Collarbone
The Asteroids Galaxy Tour/ Around The Bend
Ana Laan/ Paradise
O'Death/ Low Tide
Gin Wigmore/ Under My Skin
Fredrik/ 1986
Wallis Bird/ Country Bumpkin
Owl City/ Saltwater Room
Ingrid Michaelson/ Die Alone

Photobucket
Starfucker

Starfucker/ German Love
Alesha Dixon/ The Boy Does Nothing
Colin Munroe/ Will I Stay Remix Main
Rachael Yamagata/ Sidedish Friend
Stricken City/ Tak O Tak



November (15)!


She told me not to step on the cracks
I told her not to fuss and relax
Well, her pretty little face stopped me in my tracks
But now she sleeps with one eye open
That's the price she paid
I took a knife and cut out her eye
I took it home and watched it wither and die
Well, she's lucky that I didn't slip her a smile
That's why she sleeps with one eye open
That's the price she paid
Photobucket
Dan Black

Greg Laswell/ Id Be Lying
Medeski, Martin & Wood/ Free Go Lily
Dan Black/ Yours
Florence and the Machine/ Girl With One Eye
YUNÅ/ Rocket
Fritz Helder & The Phantoms/ Lagerfeld Lady
Jax Panik/ Cigarettes and Cinnamon
Chairlift/ Planet Health
MYMP / Waiting In Vain
The Script/ The Man Who Cant Be Moved
Angie May/ Bluebird
Nellie Mckay/ David
Metric/ Help Im Alive

Photobucket
Ben Sollee

Ben Sollee/ How to See the Sun Rise
Taxi Doll/ Waiting (Josh Harris Remix)



December (21)!


I filled the bucket
I spilled the bucket
Out on the floor
A mistake for sure
Consequences
Turned me hostile
I got so tied in
Made me docile
Then you applauded
When I was loving
Made me feel weak and
I start recovering
Now I feel silly
Selfish and dizzy
Now I got this feeling
That you'll forgive me
Musiq Soulchild & India.Arie/ Chocolate High
Little Joy/ Unattainable
Bon Iver/ For Emma

Photobucket
School of Seven Bells

School of Seven Bells/ Half Asleep
La Roux/ Quicksand
Treasure Fingers/ Cross The Dancefloor (Designer Drugs Remix)
Cat Power/ Sea of Love
Au Revoir Simone/ Lark
Passion Pit/ Cuddle Fuddle
Max Vernon/ When Your Body Breaks
The Dodos/ Winter
Santogold/ You'll Find A Way
M83/ Kim & Jessie
Matt & Kim/ Daylight
Los Campesinos/ We Are Beautiful, We Are Doomed
Hot Chip/ Ready for the Floor
Sigur Rós/ Gobbledigook
Cut Copy/ Feel the Love
Tilly and the Wall/ Beat Control
Empire of the Sun/ Walking On A Dream

~end~

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Dear

The Script